Wednesday, October 12, 2005

NP

I got sent/picked up some pretty intense and crazy records in the past 2 weeks. I can’t stop listening to these:

Antony and the Johnsons
Castanets
Deer Hoof

I am going to see Antony and the Johnsons at Carnegie Hall on Thursday. The guy has a pretty interesting story with a soulful/sad voice. He also tends to dress as a woman.

Deerhoof reminds me of some of the craziest music I used to listen to living in SF. This is something like their 4th album, and I had never really paid attention before now. Great record.
I think the Castanets are a better Devendra Banhart. They are on Sufjan Stevens’ label, so there must be some association there.

Speaking of Mr. Stevens, Kimz and I went to see him play an intimate show at Symphony Space. The theater was the size of a small indie movie theater. Sufjan had rearranged his songs with an orchestra. The show was a bit awkward, cuase the band is used to playing in clubs, with more rock instruments. Craig was as awesome as ever.

1 comment:

Commonplace said...

That Iron & Wine/Calexico album is pretty good...but that's kinda old for you in "the biz."