Sunday, January 20, 2008

He asks. He gets.

I've started blogging about my all time favorite records put out in my life time.

It has been hard. A few days of self doubt. Magnetic Fields and Cat Power have new records that are phenomenal. Wow, their early records changed my life and why didn't I put them on the list? And ELO? I love them as much as (or more?) than the Talking Heads and the Cars. Wings and The Cure too.

Because I discovered these records after I accepted that I am music snob. or I don't really know. All I know is the first list was hard to put together and I listened to those CDs, tapes and mp3s like there was no tomorrow. I wish I could have included L7 and Skid Row too.

Its freezing today (actually below freezing.) I know if Susie and I hung out at the place we would have gone at each other like cats and dogs, so I devised this plan to grab a bite at the local pub. After we had a few Bloody Mary's and played a round of Scrabble I suggested we go to the little 'we're on the verge of being the hip record store in a recently gentrified neighborhood' record store looking for the BetaBand's 3 eps. I think I heard a song of their's in an ad and it won't leave my head.

I start flipping though the vinyl and right away I find ELO's 'Out of the Blue' FOR 5 DOLLARS. Daniel recently played me his recently repressed copy. He paid $25 for it. Heh.

And there she was waiting for me.


Basically this record (this copy, on vinyl) has been like $50+ for the last 20 years. Appetite has sold more than 20 million copies wold wide. There were 25,000 of these things made, 20 YEARS AGO. I now own one. Today is a great day.

I blogged about my favorite 30 records this week, included Appetite in that list, and got the hardest copy of it known to man today for 20 bucks. This never happens.

No comments: