Monday, June 02, 2008

A Trip to Flushing Meadows park - site of the 64 World's Fair.

Last weekend Susie and I took the 7 to Queens to check out the park. You see the Globe at the center of this park when you are coming into the city from La Guardia (You also see it in the intro to The King of Queens).

Taking a trip to the park and then researching the 64 World's fair has had a stronger effect on me than I thought it would. The 64 World's Fair represented the potential for America's future and is now kind of just a run down park. The 64 World's Fair also became the prototype for Disney World in Florida (and Epcot, I assume), as Disney did 4 of the attractions here. You can read more about the 64 Worlds Fair at Wikipedia.

A picture from a 1965 National Geographic article about the fair.


A picture of the same area, as taken by me last week.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I always wonder about this park when I pass by on the highway. Kind of sad that nothing goes on there now.

ajlounyinjurylaw said...

The 1964 picture is just amazing, and it's proof that the structure should be restored to it's original beauty.